10 Ways To Prepare Your Home For Selling
Posted: November 15, 2018 11:54 am
You’ve made the decision to sell your Erie, PA area home and unless there’s some sort of unknown extenuating circumstances, you want to sell it as quickly and for as much money as possible. However, no matter how favorable the real estate market is or how well your neighbor did with their recent sale, getting top dollar involves careful planning and having the foresight to complete some basic “homework” steps and knowing how to make some basic repairs to your home so that potential buyers will be scrambling for their checkbooks.
Time to Step Back
Your house in Erie, PA has been your home, perhaps for quite a few years, and letting go can be quite difficult for some. Your emotional attachment can actually be a bit of a detriment to your overall goals and 5 things you can do to help the process proceed with a little less difficulty.
- Disassociate — Make the emotional break by reminding yourself that this is just a house, not your home.
- Depersonalize — Remove personal photographs and family heirlooms.
- Declutter — Remove books, clean off kitchen counters, pack away your collectibles.
- Remove what’s not for sale — If the dining room chandelier is a family heirloom and will not be staying with the house upon your move, take it out now.
- Clean out closets/storage spaces — Consider renting a storage unit and removing your closet and stored items to it. Potential buyers want to see the available space, not all your junk.
DIY Those Minor Home Repairs
Repairs can make or break your sale and while you want to keep your budget and asking price in mind at all times, there’s 5 that you should strongly consider.
- Paint — Painting your walls a neutral color is generally a good move, especially if they haven’t been painted in a while, and fairly affordable while being simple enough that most homeowners can complete on their own.
- Replace — Broken or cracked tiles or windows. Don’t forget missing or broken light switch plates and plug covers.
- Repair — Patch any holes in the walls and replace or fix doors or drawers that don’t open properly.
- Lighting — Replace missing, burned out, or older light bulbs. Ensure that each room has plenty of lighting and that none go out at the perfectly wrong time.
- Curb appeal – Remove dead limbs, ensure the lawn is cut and trimmed properly, remove/store lawn equipment and toys, and ensure that your house “looks good” upon first glance.
When You’re Buying or Selling a Home in Erie, PA, You Need Vendetti
Selling your home or looking to buy a new one in the Erie area can be an enormously exciting time. But it can also be extremely stressful and frustrating. Unexpected issues can arise at any time and when they do, you need professional real estate legal services.
In today’s real estate climate, you need an attorney with in-depth experience and training, and Attorney Vendetti is an experienced Real Estate Attorney, as well as a Licensed Title Insurance Agent and Certified Best-Practices Settlement and Closing Agent. Contact Erie, PA’s most trusted Real Estate Attorney today and find out how we can help you with the sale or purchase of your home.